Orange Splot LLC just broke ground on a 14-home courtyard community called “Mason St. Townhomes,” designed in partnership with Communitecture. This development retains one existing home and adds 13 more on a 0.58 acre lot (25,542 square feet) near the intersection of NE Mason Street & NE Cully Blvd.
(6) 2.5-Story Townhomes: 1,532 – 1,579 square feet, 4BR, 2.5BA
(7) 2-Story Townhomes: 1,078 – 1,112 square feet, (3) 2BR, 2BA, (4) 3BR, 2BA
(1) Existing House: 840 square feet, 2BR, 1BA
(1) Common house with kitchen, gathering space, and guest bedroom suite
Features & Amenities
Each unit will have a sizeable covered porch, raised garden/planting bed, and small private yard area. Design of the site and its common amenities is intended to facilitate community building and interaction among residents. Shared amenities include:
- A common building with small kitchen for social gatherings, food processing projects, movie nights, and more;
- A central courtyard where children can play and grown-ups can socialize;
- A guesthouse for friends and family who come to visit;
- Secure indoor & outdoor areas for bike parking, and gardening/landscaping tools; and
- A large Norway Maple, with new fruit trees on the way.
Despite the recently declared “housing state of emergency” due to rapidly increasing rents and home purchase prices, Portland has not added much “middle” housing stock, including once-common townhomes and courtyard apartments. These housing types offer more affordable, resource-efficient, entry-level options for families and first-time homebuyers. Mason St. Townhomes is one attempt to help fill this gap. We hope it will inspire more Portland-area developers to build high-quality, community-oriented, and beautiful townhomes as an alternative to large, expensive, and detached single-family homes.
In addition to providing relatively inexpensive market-rate options to buyers, we are working with Proud Ground (a community land trust) and the City of Portland to make 2-3 of these homes permanently affordable to homebuyers at 80% of Median Family Income. Through what we’re calling “voluntary inclusionary zoning,” Orange Splot LLC will be contributing at least $50K per affordable unit.
Project Status & Timeline
In June and July, we deconstructed the house (with support from the City of Portland’s new deconstruction grant program to defray costs and make salvaged materials available to neighbors). Construction started in March 2017 for a Summer 2018 completion.
Civil drawings: Mason St. Townhomes – civil pages 2.3.17
Structural drawings: Structural-drawings-11-21-2016
To join our prospective buyer list, or to receive updates on Mason St. Townhomes for any other reason, please sign up here.