Applewood Corner Condominium is a small new community on a 7,123 square foot corner lot just south of Mt. Tabor. It consists of a newly-built Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) and the neighborhood’s original 1904 farmhouse, freshly renovated, on a shared lot. They were sold separately as condominiums.
Here’s a story about the project in The Oregonian: “Preserved Portland farmhouse shares lot with new cottage” by Janet Eastman.
Home sales for this community were managed by David Todd, Living Room Realty.
(1) 2-Story ADU: 794 square feet, 2BR, 1.5BA
(1) Existing 2-Story farmhouse with finished basement: 2,134 square feet, 4BR, 3BA
(1) Storage structure for each home
Features & Amenities
- Sizeable covered porches face the shared gardening area;
- Large (2,000 square foot), full-sun garden space bordered by mature espalier apple trees;
- 500+ square foot shared social gathering area at the back corner of the property;
- 400+ square foot private yards for each home;
- Detached storage buildings for each home (garage for primary house; storage shed for ADU);
- Shaker-style cabinets, quartz kitchen counter-tops; and
- Hardwood flooring on ground floors, tile or marmoleum in bathrooms, wool carpet upstairs.
As land prices in amenity-rich neighborhoods have escalated, it’s become virtually impossible to build new homes for sale at first time homebuyer prices. By building an ADU, partitioning the lot, as allowed by code, and selling it separately from the primary home, we created a home buying opportunity at around $325K in a neighborhood where few other new homes are selling for less than $500K. We’re also preserving a 110-year-old farmhouse that could be at risk for demolition and replacement with two large single family homes (a common practice in Portland right now). Finally, we’ve set the stage for a micro-garden-community with a carefully crafted mix of shared and private spaces.
Project Status & Timeline
Construction was completed in Fall 2016 and two wonderful families have purchased the homes at Applewood Corner. One is a couple with a 7 year old daughter, and the other is a 3-generation household. They’re excited to start gardening – and host a community ice cream social (I’m providing the ice cream) to meet more of their new neighbors.
To get general updates from Orange Splot LLC, please sign up here.