Orange Splot LLC is a housing development company and general contractor with
a mission to pioneer new models of community-oriented, affordable, green housing
developments in Portland – ideally within an easy bike ride of Eli’s house in N. Portland.
We believe that one of the most important things we can do to minimize our ecological
footprint is to live in less space, and to do so within a larger community in which it’s easy
(and fun) to share resources.
Through Orange Splot LLC, we strive to create engaging places for people to live in
community that combine small, functional and beautiful homes with interior and exterior
common spaces. These communities are designed to foster interaction among residents
and make it easy for neighbors to share resources and thereby live happier, simpler,
less resource-intensive lives. Community members participate in the design of common
spaces and the customization of their individual homes.
- Involve construction or renovation of smaller, functional, and beautifully designed homes
- Use less land per house by arranging multiple residences on the same lot
- Provide shared interior and exterior common spaces for community to happen
- Be constructed of salvaged and sustainably produced building materials whenever possible
- Include units more affordable than are typically produced in the market
- Use design to make it easy and fun for neighbors to share resources, thereby fostering a happier, less resource-intensive lifestyle
- Incorporate durable construction materials to minimize the need for ongoing maintenance/replacement
- Re-utilize existing structures whenever possible
- Be located and designed to make it easy to live without a car
- Provide opportunities for participation in design by the future residents, especially with respect to interior and exterior common spaces
- Incorporate artwork, salvaged materials and quality craftsmanship to make projects beautiful and unique